Sunday, September 16, 2007

Men are the New Women?

It seems like a stupid/meaningless question... but in regards to hip-hop, I think it's very relevant. SO what brings up this question you might ask? Well the latest in a long list of things is the song "Duffle Bag Boy". (I'm sure you've heard it, but if not... here.)

So when did it become gangster to carry a man purse? Not to say that I'm the most gangster guy out there, but I like to think that I've got some experience in at least recognizing it when I see it. And I'm sorry, I don't care how much money you have or what brand of bag you have... but a purse is a purse. Now I understand hip-hop's infatuation with brand names, and showing you can afford a Louis Vuitton bag is cool and all... but at the end of the day, it's still a purse.

Now maybe this a good thing, this blurring of the gender lines. Maybe it's showing that hip-hop is getting in touch with it's "feminine" side. Or maybe the latent homo-eroticism that's in a lot of hip-hop is finally starting to be exposed? Or maybe I'm just reading too much into a trend and need to go get my duffle bag on?

I dont know... but I do know that when I was growing up, if a dude walked into my neighborhood with a man purse on... he wouldn't be considered cool to say the least.

Lastly and on a somewhat unrelated note... check out this group Blu & Exile. They just put out a cd titled 'Below the Heavens'. This is quality hip-hop... one of the best cds I've picked up this year.

And they don't wear man purses.

Check the video:


No comments: