Friday, August 03, 2007

Top 10 Hottest MCs in the Game?

MTV, being the bastion of all that is hip-hop has come up with their list of the hottest MCs in the game. And me being the verbose, psuedo expert of hip-hop that I am... felt the need to comment, rip apart, and trash their selections.

Here's the list:

10. Jim Jones
9. Common
8. 50 Cent
7. Jay-Z
6. Young Jeezy
5. Kanye West
4. Andre 3000
3. Game
2. T.I.
1. Lil Wayne

So first off... our boy Jim Jones is on this list? I can't even fathom what sort of logic went into that decision. Apparently they didn't get the memo that one "hot" song does not make you an MC. (See MIMS) But honestly, do people really think this guy can rap? I don't even think he's as good as fruity-tooty rapper Cam'ron, who is not even as good as Juelz.

I won't say that Jimmy isn't entertaining, but I will say that he is not a top ten MC. I know there isn't much to choose from, but he is definitely taking a spot from more talented/qualified MCs.

As much as I don't want 50 to be on the list... given the current state of music, I guess he can stay, but only based on past achievements. His music right now is... "eh" at best. And to be honest, I'm convinced that he made a bet with Yayo or something and told them he could go platinum with any garbage that he puts out. Yall hear the song with Justin? 'Ayo Technology'? Who does that? What does that even mean? I'm confused.

I'm also confused by Jeezy being on this list. I mean I guess his first album did so well that he decided to make it twice. I mean what has he really done this past year? The White girl song was kinda funny... but I really can't remember anything else of consequence from him. And how is Jeezy better than Jay? That just doesn't even seem right. We get it... you can come up with a bunch of different words for cocaine... jeez. And if we're going for a guy with an interesting little squeal/ad-lib... why not Jadakiss?

The order of the rest of the list needs some re-arranging. Now I actually like T.I. but there is no way that anyone can convince me that he should be number two. "Big Things Poppin"? I'm gonna need him to do better. I actually really like T.I. too... but to put him above Andre 3000 is criminal. Even Kanye is doing better than T.I. right now. Although I've found that Kanye's remixes of songs are usually more entertaining than his own songs. (See the 'Throw some D's remix')

Why is the Game on this list? His album was alright... but what has he done this year? I honestly can't think of anything significant besides getting arrested for pulling a gun on someone during a basketball game and name dropping Dr. Dre and Detox.

As much as I like Lil Wayne, I'm not sure I can put anyone above Andre. He's absolutely killing things right now... he has taken over every song he's been on and made it his. I would def have to put him at one. I'd keep Wayne in the top three partly because of the sheer volume of his work. He apparently records 6-8 songs a night... that's insane.

As far as folks not on the list... I'd like to see Kweli (Eardrum will come out soon... I promise). Eaybe Nas? (Hip-Hop is Dead was serious) What about Ghostface? I don't know what he says half the time... but he says it so well. And he's basically the only one from Wu-Tang doing big things.

There are some young guys that I'm really feelin now too... especially the cat Skyzoo... and maybe even Saigon(his album will come out too... I promise)

Anyway... all this to say... MTV doesn't know crap about hip-hop and I do. That is all.

1 comment:

tjeanise said...

I hear you-loud and clear-this must be the year of Lil Weezy but Andre is the master of diaster!!!!