You too can be cooler than all of your friends... just follow my handy dandy guide to 'hipsterdom'.
The New York Times came up with the word 'blipster', which is what they called a Black hipster, and apparently they're on the rise. And even though this might be a little late, I still think it could be of some help to you guys.
So without further ado...
1. One of the most important parts of being a hipster is the hair. Your hair is one of the first things people notice about you, so to be a Black hipster, you've gotta do something different with yours. The mohawk is one way to go, but its a little played now as even Diddy had one. Some other ways to go would be dyeing it a random color (especially good for girls) shaving various parts and leaving other parts unshaved or anything asymmetrical (also good for girls). Mixing various styles (like Kele from Bloc Party above)is good too. This all shows that you don't really care what others think, and that you're above the norm, which is really important in being a hipster.
2. Clothing is another big aspect of being a hipster. One of the defining characteristics of being hip is skinny jeans. The skinnier and tighter the better. I would recommend the Levis shrink-to-fit raw denim jeans as you can tailor those to your needs. The best way to go about getting your jeans skinny would be to sit in a tub of hot water with them on... then you can ensure that you'll never be able to have kids again. (If your closest girl friend can fit in them easily, then they aren't tight enough... so try again.)
You will also need to find things from your childhood fads that didn't make it, i.e. Starter caps, flannel, etc. Basically anything you can play off as being ironic is key. And don't forget those accessories. You'll need some black rimmed glasses a la Malcolm X or Drew Carey, and for girls, mismatched earrings are a must. Even a big chain or a multi fingered ring. One of those head covers that you usually only see Arabs wearing in the desert is also a plus, except wear it like you're a bandit. That's big.
What about your feet you ask? Well I've got you covered there too. I would recommend some Vans or Chucks. But you can't wear them all fresh and clean... throw them around in the dirt a little or buy the ones that look really used, but are really expensive.
The most important thing with clothing is that whatever you do... Don't MATCH! I cannot stress this enough. You will be mocked and scoffed if you do.
3. Music is another way to define yourself as a hipster. Basically all you wanna do is listen to any 'alternative' or 'underground' rock and/or rap that you can find. Preferably anything your non hipster friends don't know. And the more 'emo' it is, the better. (If you don't know what emo is, just look for the guys with the asymmetrical hair cuts and black eye liner.) Also, liking the Ramones (or acting like you do) is a huge plus.
4. This step is not quite necessary, but if you want the image to be complete I would recommend it. Buy a skateboard. You don't have to know how to skate (it would help however), but you've got to look like you could. (If your jeans are tight enough, it will probably be hard to skate well anyway.) This shows that you're in touch with your alternative side and that you're a rebel and different... so what if every 13 year old skates now.
5. Lastly, and this is probably the most important step. You must develop an attitude that shows that you don't care about much, and that you're too cool to be bothered with anything that isn't about being cool or different. But you have to do this while acting like you aren't doing it. (Often looking into the distance is a good way to do it) Sorta Like these guys:
Well thats basically it, I hope that this helped and I wish you all the best of luck in your future hip endeavors.
And because I'm so hip... I don't actually care if you liked this or not.
(Australia recap and stories coming soon)