Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hip Hop Really Is Dead....

And that my friends, in all his furry glory, is the sumbitch that killed him. Nas was right. Get out your dark suits and pour out some liks. I mean its really on some deader than a doornail type shit. (Dickens) It pains me to say it, but it's quite true.

So on my day off today (only as a teacher do you truly appreciate snow days), I stumbled upon what might be the most ignant and just weird children's show I have ever seen. The show/character is called Hip-Hop Harry (click the link at your own peril). According to CD Baby:
"Hip Hop Harry is a live action, educational, music & dance based children’s television series that airs weekday mornings on Discovery Kids & TLC’s Ready Set Learn Block!"

(Yes this bastard child of hip-hop and Barney has a CD)

Now, besides the obviously odd concept of using breakdancing and rapping to "teach" kids (the episode I watched was on the colors of the rainbow... eh), it just seems like a real life representation of all those fantastic stereotypes that people have about rap and rappers. Don't get me wrong, I think educational programming is great, and if the show was decently done I would have no problem with it. But when kids break out in a concert style call and response with this shucking and jiving, arm waving, chain wearing, overgrown muppet, and it is supposed to be educational, then I start to have a problem, as a teacher and a person with common sense.

Plus he reminds me of those creepy animatronic Chuck E. Cheese robots that freaked us all out...

Anyway... here is Hip-Hop Harry and his musical stylings. Enjoy.



This should clear up some of the reason why kids were in love with this garbage.

I'm gonna go start listening to country music or something...


3 comments:

Miss O. said...

ummm....

this is absolutley ridonkulous!

i'm especially disturbed by the chain made of (what looks like) multi-colored felt :-/.

and the dance moves?! i couldn't even watch that whole clip.

i can't believe this is not some really bad public access show...

did u make this show up?

no, really.

is this a joke?!

:-/

Luq said...

This is not a joke, and its a real channel. And i've read comments from people that really think this thing is amazing... I'm dumbstruck to say the least...

Miss O. said...

that is SO crazy!

i may have to take a vacation day just so i can witness this sh*t on TLC with my own two eyes!

i feel like i would have to beat my future children if they ever tried to watch this...

what ever happened to Reading Rainbow, dammit!

for shame!