Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Black People Like "Kumbaya" Right?

So does that make a bad person if I loathe it? I mean, I really despise the song. Like to the point where if it is sung, the look on my face is similar to this. And the sad thing is that it's not because the song is bad or anything. It's just because all that sing-songy pseudo unity crap makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little... and apparently, it's not Black History Month unless someone sings it and everyone starts singing and swaying along with them. Plus there's the whole thing where White people sing it and think they're speaking 'African' or something. (FYI: The song is actually Gullah... but thats neither here nor there) Or that by singing the song with some Black folks during February, they've safely reached their Black History quota. They've succeeded in making it another year, without offending a black person, and look what they've got to show for it... a group hug, some chai tea, and a little race barrier breaking. And thats really the most important thing right?

In addition, the song has essentially become a punchline anyway. It's lost any panache it may have ever had, and is now used to describe any slightly humorous situation where people won't really get along. America, I think it's time to find a new 'African' song to show how much you actually appreciate Black folks.

I'm sorry, what was that? "Someone's laughing?" Yea, at your trite ass "Kumbaya". I say they just play "Chicken Noodle Soup" from now on... you'd be guaranteed to get kids dancing at least... and that's obivously more socially significant right?

1 comment:

Miss O. said...

lol, that monkey is funny :)