Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's been a long time....

I shouldn't have left you.... But i've been prompted back into action, by one of my few readers. Imagine that. There's been a lot going on with school, coaching and the like, but that's neither here nor there. So on to the 'fun' stuff...

I got this from a friend of mine: So a man in NY that is being charged with murder is having his rap 'lyrics' used as evidence against him. Take a second and let that sink in. We're talking about rap. A genre of music that is based entirely on braggadocio and posturing. One of the whole points of the music is to make those 'underprivileged' and downtrodden youth feel bigger than they are. Give them an outlet to express their frustrations with mainstream society. Now, I'm not going to discount the fact that cuz may have actually killed these two cops, but if this is the prosecution's best evidence, then there is a problem. Just because a few rappers have done some bad things, doesn't mean that lyrics are necessarily all truthful (Damn you C-Murder) If this were the case, there would be a lot less rappers out there...hmmm....interesting... but I digress.

Another problem I have with this, is that the lyrics really aren't that good. (Click the picture for proof) No offense to the guy, but he's not a rapper. As Phonte (of Little Brother) says, "Just cause you got the skills to sell dope, don't mean you got the same skills to rap about it." (I may have paraphrased some)But you know there are going to be so many people that see this as just another example of that horrible rap music that inspires the youth to go out and gang bang and deal drugs. I wonder if they would have done the same thing, if they found poems in his pocket.

The other interesting thing about this case is that the defense is calling a rap "expert" to say that the lyrics are just lyrics. As far as I can tell, Yasser Arafat Payne, is an associate professor at the U. of Delaware that has written some essays on rap music and the culture. What makes him more of an expert than me, I don't know... but either way, this case will definitely be something to keep an eye on. So until it's decided, don't write about the people you've killed.

In other news, apparently Evel Knievel doesn't agree with Kanye's statements about the 'Touch the Sky' video. (I love how in Kanye's mind, having Pamela Anderson in a video makes it amazing... If that was the case then the Pam and Tommy tape should prolly get an Oscar)

Jim Jones can ball... but he sure can't spell. (I know it seems like I'm a hater... and that may be the case, but you know what, I do respect his business skills. Anyone that can milk a phrase as much as he has and make a killing off it, is doing something right I guess.)

Speaking of rappers that suck... No rappers were nominated for any of the big Grammys for the first time in 6 years. Prolly cause rap sucked ass this year... yea that sounds about right.(Although I think that Lupe coulda gotten a best album or new artist nomination, but that's just me.)

Lastly, Lil' Wayne is wildin... repeatedly. Definitely a POOR CHOICE. Why can't we all just get along? Especially those darned rappers.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well done! keep it up!

-- ugochi